Saturday 2 December 2006

In the Aeroplane Over the Sea

First snow today, mostly gone now but the fact remains where the snow doesn't. Its been a gloomy week, and I think my mood really depends on the weather and this week was pretty cruddy weather-wise; maybe this first snow could signal a change. Some thing to look out for: Nick's new team blog Review'd with Chuck, Jordan, and Andrew.

Some may recall my fondness for creations flown under the Neo-Classic Space flag. If not, then now you know. Why bring it up? A quick scan of brickshelf today revealed a gallery by Molly Friedrich which held an interesting model. The other two builders I've featured with this style (seen here: [link]) still had a very conservative restyling of the classic-space theme.
Molly on the other hand, produces a Neo-CS model that looks rather dashing. The other examples retained that very blocky look of the old CS models while updating curb appeal or building techniques, Molly's seems to attack both with a high degree of change. When I first saw the brickshelf I though this was someone's interpretation of an Arwing from Star Fox, colour scheme seemed right. Now the building styles of an Arwing and any CS spaceship are quite different, thus my surprise when I discovered the truth. I'll cut to the point: this thing looks profoundly more deadly than other CS or Neo-CS models, and I like it. It helps too that this thing is built in two 'modules'. I look forward to more, and hope this gives some effect on future Neo-Classic Space models.

Another interesting thing to bring up today is the discussion on Classic-Space.com about the proper grammatical usage of the term LEGO. Is it a Noun, or an Adjective? And does The LEGO Group dictate to the public how to use this term?
My take on it, and you can stop reading now if you don't care: Whenever I've used the word Lego, it's always been in direct reference to the Company or it's product. And thus, perhaps in casual conversation with another Lego enthusiast the word itself is all that is needed to convey what you're really denoting. However, I agree that when speaking to a mind uneducated on how the term should be properly used (and by should be, I mean how it's creator and owner tells us how it should be used) that one should use terms like LEGO Brick, or LEGO Justice. Why? Because enthusiasts of Lego know that when someone says Bricks, or Lego they know what that someone is talking about - however when talking to a non-enthusiast they might see all building block toys as the same thing, thus one must define that they mean the products of the LEGO group.
The most popular corrected usage of the word is Legos [Lay-goes], as in "I want some legos". Personally I've never really used the term and thus it does seem wrong to me. What ever your opinion is, make sure to read the topic and post your own thoughts on the subject.

No comments: